cleaning up after Sony Connect Player

Sony Europe has finally posted an official statement to their website regarding the horrendously unusable Sony Connect software that was to replace the very poorly made SonicStage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR SONY NETWORK WALKMAN OWNERS – NW-A1000 , NW-A3000 and NW-A608 ONLY :

A number of users have reported problems with their Sony Network WALKMAN NW-A1000 , NW-A3000 and NW-A608 when using “CONNECT Player” software.

Such problems
may include slow performance or difficulty in installing the software.

Where they occur, these issues arise as a result of aspects of some system environments and usage conditions. To enable customers to enjoy their purchase,
Sony is currently investigating these problems.

The current version of “SonicStage” software does not offer the full range of features and functionality offered by “CONNECT Player”. A description of the different software features available with “SonicStage” can be found here. Sony intends to provide a further release of “SonicStage” with additional functionalities in the near future and in parallel remedy the issues of the “CONNECT Player”.

The bold and underline is my own emphasis.

So the bomb that has been dropped here is that SonicStage should have been replaced by Connect Player. That Sony will be going back to the SonicStage code (very old code by today’s consumer electronics standards) to provide another release, additional functionality, while IN PARALLEL working to fix Connect Player, is basically an admission of defeat. You know things aren’t going as planned when you have to go back to old software that you had not planned to use and renew the old stuff while working to fix your new software. And the sad thing about this- it could have been avoided and many people knew of the problems with the software before it became public.

Between my two posts on Sony Connect Player, Sony Connect Player fiasco and Sony Connect Player 1.0 review, I currently have over 1000 comments from frustrated Sony customers, generally EU/UK customers. Japanese customers are just as angry.

Trust me when I tell you that there will be/has been already a shakeup within Sony and that you’ll see it reflected both at Sony USA and in Sony Japan.

CNet covers the story here:

Sony reorganizes struggling Connect service | CNET News.com

It is truly a shame, however, that at the key moment when Sony needed to have a successful digital audio player, and reviews of the hardware seem to be generally positive, to be let down by unusable software in 2006 is, as we say in Japanese, なさけない。

169 comments on “cleaning up after Sony Connect Player
  1. Ken Y-N says:

I’ve now used the player and the software slightly more, and I’m actually a little disappointed in the player firmware now too. Wake up from sleep takes a few seconds, so pause is not that accurate. I’ve downloaded a complete archive of Just A Minute (BBC radio comedy series), so being able to pause just when I want is important, but sometimes the clapping finishes before the pause kicks in. I suspect, but haven’t investigated fully, that resume from pause also loses a second or two.
    The PC software, however, has gone from bad to worse. With 500 tracks in my library now, it takes about five minutes to start up! Also, the GraceNotes CDDB decided to title half my Just A Minute collection with random names, it seems. The radio rips I had just had a show title on the whole, but I’ve ended up with a bizarre set of album and artists tagged onto the shows – 効果音大全集10 being my favourite mislabelling. I suspect that existing titles were also automatically overwritten once or twice. The mouse thumbwheel lack of speed is very annoying too!

2. Lex says:

Ok i have the same problem as everyone else, is there any way that i can download a programme that will work?

3. steve says:

I got the Sony as a gift (and admittedly, I was the one who wanted that rather than iPod). The iPod has its faults, but my goodness it’s a million times easier to work than this Sony crap. It’s a shame, too, because the MP3 player itself isn’t so bad.

4. Matt says:

well, i uninstalled connect after the latest update. Took over 30minutes to delete 1 song. and didn’t even delete. so i took sony’s advice and installed sonic stage. now, almost 5 hours later, i’m still trying to delete 1 song. it crashes my computer.
    this is truly unbelievable. considering the PSP management software is extremely easy to use. WTF Sony, WTF???

5. matt says:

all i wanted was to replace one song for another.
    now it’s wiped my player
    any one wanna buy an nw-a3000?

6. Ade says:

I want to like my nw-a3000, but some minor problems really annoy me!
    I`ve had trouble with the software, and find Connect player really slow. However when I use the new Sonic Stage it is much more reliable, but I lose the ratings feature on the player. To get this back I have to run Connect player with the nw-a3000 connected to the PC.
    I can live with this, but I get annoyed when silly little things get overlooked or dont work.
    Does anyone else find that their so called `Top 100` sometimes contains songs that I havent even listened to yet! It is completely inaacurate!
    The other thing is a sleep feature. Am I being thick and missing something? If you have the player on shuffle through ALL your songs then it will just play till the battery runs out?!
    How hard would it be to include a sleep mode?
    The other gripe is the Artist Link button, a dedicated button for a feature that dont even work!
    Apart from these problems I do love the machine and use it every day. I hold out hoping that someone at Sony will rewrite the software that controls the player and fixes issues and adds more functionality.
    A version of Sonic Stage that supports the rating feature would be nice too.
    Oh, and has anyone else noticed that Connect Player supports more than one NW-A3000, whereas Sonic Stage will only work with the first player it sees and no others. I know this coz I have a friend with a NW-A3000 but no PC, so I put his CD`s on it for him.
    I look forward to hearing others thoughts on my comments.
    Ade

7. nix says:

nuthin works. try to install this 3 times, 2 hours of installation and update …. SHIt

8. Alex says:

Hi guys, I just bought the NW-A608. I tried to install MP3 filemaneger first, installation was fine, but the drag-drop didn`t work….AH! So i decided to install the CONNECT player…I used the installer from the supplied CD. After a few minutes the install-programm connected to the internet and started to download updates/updated software(?). Ths procedure took 30minutes tough i have highspeed cable…anyways, i first thought the programm crashed, but the progress bar slighty moved forward. When it was finally done, i tried to run the software and connected my new nw-a608…I was amazed!! Really!! Quick start-up and no problems so far!! This is against all odds!!! I dont know why it worked for me? but i guess i am one of the first to report a good comment about connect? Good luck to you all, lets wait for further notice from Sony! bye, Alex

9. slayer says:

Well i cant even get that far…..im trying to install the software and there must be a box that say check here to agree to the terms and conditions….but i cant check it because its cut off….and i cant drag the box to make it bigger……cant use the tab keys…what the hell ya sposed to do?? @_@

10. winston says:

hey..this is getting annoying now…
    worked fine the first time…now dunno what the hells happenned…thought it was laptop…but i guess not…the software just doesnt seem to load…somebody..pls any suggestions…i owned a SONY Vaio Pocket before and i still have the sonic stage software…will that help the cause…is it compatible with the NW-A3000 …am in singapore…somebody plsss gimme some suggestions….thanks…

11. Irish user says:

Advice to anyone who ever considers buying a sony product: If it needs software to run properly…DONT BUY IT!!! Ive had a cybershot camera a(which broke down and sony wouldnt cover) and the software was crap, and now I foolishly bought a nw-a1000 , BIG MISTAKE … its crap too and the software crashes the computer. download sonic stge and after taking ages to install, it crashes the computer!!! DONT BUY SONY, NO MATER HOW GOOD THE PRODUCT LOOKS!

12. gazza09 says:

Hi Winston,
    As suggested on previous posts. Totally uninstall the Connect Player Softwate. even with the updates it is totally crap. Installed Sonic Stage 3.4 (the latest version). This will work with the NWA3000. You will lose the Artist Link feature and Smart Shuffle / Top 100 songs function but who cares.

13. Jonny O says:

Hi all,
    I regularly check back at this weblog, and I sympathise with you all. But the following story is that of success and delight (it takes a while to get going). Please read on…
    I purchased my AW-3000 from DABS.com in November/December after Amazon UK twice changed the date when they expected delivery. I ended up paying £10 more to cover postage but I received it just two days later. And so the time came to install the Connect player software on my PC. The first stumbling block:
    I couldn’t even get it to install. It seemed that possibly the resolution was all wrong, as an important check-box was hidden from the screen. I could not enlarge the window. The chack-box was the one to say that I agreed with the license agreement. Because I couldn’t tick this box, I couldn’t move on to the next stage. So I took the software to another PC.
    Success! No idea why, but I could install the software. The second stumbling block came with importing my music.
    It took hours. Can’t remember exactly how long but it took hours. I have around 3000 songs. The software crashed a few times when I selected a folder to import, and it took a lot of effort but eventually I got it all on. Deleting and removing songs took time aswell. This was a PC with 512MB RAM and a 2GHz processor. The software used up all the RAM.
    So I connected the player and waited, and waited… and waited. Some of the songs transferred across. Then it hung again. But after days of persistence, I finally got across all the music I wanted.
    But at Christmas I recieved a new computer. ‘Hmmmm’, I thought. I tried installing the software onto this one (1GB RAM, 3GHz processor) and success again! Woo!
    Also, I upated the Connect software, the Auto-update software and the firmware, with no obvious difficulties. But with this computer, with its speed and RAM, it now only takes an average of 4 minutes to load up Connect, and is very quick to transfer and edit/delete. Albums take no longer than a minute to transfer. I have it set to ‘Auto-sync’.
    So here I am. Software that does its job ok and a player that I am thrilled with. I even treated myself to the headphone remote.
    The moral of this story, is that all that’s needed is a high-spec PC and persistence and patience.
    I have only one negative remark; As has been previously noted, the screen isn’t great in the daylight, but who needs it when you’re music is on shuffle and you have the remote to skip tracks?!
    And finally, do all the different coloured players come with greeny-grey text? As I’ve seen in many pictures on the net, the text is white and very visible?
    Thanks, and good luck all.

14. gazza09 says:

Hi Winston,

15. Will says:

Have a NW-A1000 and generally is works well. 2 issues – firstly pressing the Artist Link always leads to ‘can not find liked artists’ – does anyone have have this option working? Secondly, what does the Auto-Sync’ function do? – ensure that the same tracks that are on the pc are on the player or vice versa?.

16. al says:

hey all. guess this is the place for info on this player.. if anyone knows a good forum where people are discussing this player then post a link.
    ive got an a3000 and its generally great. shame the softwares a bit crap. still it wouldnt put me off buying one, its not that bad, and im sure with sony realising the issue it will get better.
    the main thing i want is the ability to get songs off the player if i want to, without keeping a full copy of my library on the pc. i dont have enough space on my laptop for 20gigs of music… so i have to do a manual sync to upload tracks, but theres currently no way to get tracks OFF the player :/

17. Emily says:

i have an a3000 and like everyone elses the software is shit..if any one can help me get my f***ing music onto my player i would be gratfull!!

18. blackvyper says:

I received the nw-a1000 for Christmas and spent countless hours messing around with the Sony Connect software (horrible). Ultimately I gave up and reverted back to Sonic Stage at the expense of some minor features (I CAN wait for Sony to update it). As for it not playing Mp3’s in it’s native format.. who cares? It is a hard drive player.. you can load videos, music (mp3, wav, midi, ect), photos, games and other files and transfer them to your friends computer… no problem… stop whining (winging). I am an American in Britain and I have used this player for months.. it is far better than an ipod and looks better to. Once the software is worked out the brain dead ipod lovers will line up to get one. I am proud to say I didn’t line up like a mindless zombie to pick up an ipod i saw someone else with on the train. With that being said.. Britain was a testing ground for the new walkman.. once released in the US it will have no problems. Watch as Apple’s share in the hard drive based music player market falls… ha ha ha.

19. Richard M. Nixon says:

Does anybody know when Sony are going to make SonicStage fully compatible with the NW-A1000 and NW-A3000?

20. Matthew B says:

Install it on my dads PC, the agreement tick box it not available… great.
    Install it on my PC, yay, its there. Open up connect, it works perfectly, all my songs are transfered. Days go by, then omfg, the songs on my player are gone!? 0 tracks are on it, while the software says its on the divice. I put the songs back on it, and half way through I check to see if its working okay. What do I find? Its not.
    I uninstall Connect and reinstall it…. 3 times. And now im up to the stage where when i open connect, the software doesnt open at all, or it opens, then closes straight after, or it opens, but nothing works and its at 100% CPU usage, or it opens perfectly, but i cant import songs to the libary, or do anything else for that matter.
    And what realy pisses me off is im going on a long couch journey to belgium from the UK, with no music. HOW WILL I SURVIVE?!
    Im so ganna bomb sony one day, im sad 🙁

21. Hung Fuen Mak says:

Dont buy Sony. Get an IRiver or Creative whatever. IRiver is better because it comes with a complete package, software, accesory, looks. Creative is good but lacks good accesory that HELP PROTECT THE PLAYER’S SCREENS. Iriver and Creative both comes with KILLER earphones. Just compare with those who got Ipod and sony earhones. Compare it with every 1. Those good earphones are what makes IRIVER AND CREATIVE soooooooo good ! On a side note I just started to boycott sony. lol!

22. laurie says:

well i got the nw-a608 recently and i loved the look of it, but the software connect is litteraly HELL! ahh i just wanted to replace one song and it took over 3 hours!!! but then i relised that it works if i transfer 2 or more songs at the same time. transferring just one single song just doesnt make a difference for me. now its taken me about 5 hours but i can finally listen to some well earned songs! its even quite satisfying when its over! lol hehe good luck guys! xoxox

23. skycrane says:

does anyone know where i can buy a cheap usb sync cable or charger? help would be appriciated. thanks
    peace

24. Julia says:

HELP
    hi,
    I got the NW-A1000 yesterday for my birthday, we couldn’t get connect to work. We downloaded sonic stage and that seemed to work. Today however the pc crashed every time i connected the player. Now it just doesn’t register the palyer at all, the prgramme takes ages to start up and I am at a loss as to what to do – any one got any ideas?

25. Lauren says:

im hvaing problems too…i bought an nwa 1000 installed the software connected the player and for some reason it wouldnt transfer the music…
    (i had previoulsly installed a friends nwa1000 a week before and after about two hours got his to work-i uninstalled his when i got mine because in connect it was only recognizing his, and even had to restore my pc and now connect will not detect the player even though my pc detects the hardware) i have even installed sonic stage and that wont work as it comes up with something about the atrac device error 🙁
    I rang up the connect support line and they said that sonic stage should be working and now it will take until next week for (if) someone to get back to me…
    Can anyone help?

26. Danny says:

I bought 2 NW-A608 players as Christmas presents for my daughters. One player lasted 3 days, before packing up completely, the other was full of “deleted” files which couldn’t actually be deleted. I returned both players to the shop, waited 6 weeks for replacements which never arrived and have now got my money back. Shame and a waste of time, The player has a fantastic design, but the software really is unbelievably crap (slow, illogical, frequently crashes, no proper help functions). Why not release an MP3 compatible with Windows Media Player or Real Player. Or is the idea to steer users towars the overpriced Sony music Website? Didn’t work though did it!

27. costas says:

hey…
    im in big trouble…i have lost the original connect player cd, and i dont have any backup…
    i tryed to use sonicstage 3.4 but i cant transfer anything to my nw-a1000..
    so im looking for the first version of sony connect player…can anyone help me??

28. blackvyper says:

I have the Connect Player CD (piece of junk). I simply use Sonicstage 3.4. I would like to help you but don’t know how to get it to you, Costas.

29. costas says:

hey..blackvyper please contact me in costasba@hotmail.com..maybe you could make a image file(iso,mdf whatever)..and upload it somewhere on the internet..

30. bunney says:

hi i have had all the same problems as all. but
    please none of the comments i have read have
    any solutions or no one has mentioned they have spoken to sony. i am awaiting sony to contact me
    now 3 weeks! do you think they will give me a refund?

31. aleicia says:

Okay I was being superficial at first…i wanted it just for how it looked but i thought it’s sony..it will be good. 3 days of my life wasted and I can safely say its not, my computer has crashed, it has stalled and now im stuck in uni cos its completely buggered my computer back home. I installed, reinstalled all the stuff they told me to and yet nothing, I know its all the same problems as people before but i had to moan. Why won’t companies just make something decent rather than piss about with stuff they know isn’t working!! That is what bugs me…WHY THE HELL DIDN’T THEY STOP SELLING IT WHEN THEY KNEW THERE WAS A FAULT….I’m up for a boycott so who is with me??? Oh yeah if anyone is in the fighting mood do u also want to email my dad and tell him its not my fault the bloody thing is breaking…thats now SOny and Philips that have f***ed me over…and that he should go back to argos and try to get a replacement (though i have to say I’m gutted to have to lose this one cause it is sooo pretty)
    My advice, don’t be fooled by the nice box you get it in, don’t be mesmerized by its purplenish and show it off to your I-pod friends (in a hahahahaha mine is better than urs manner) before u actually have it working because even if the software is workking tonight, you will be at sony’s website tomorrow trying to figure out what the hell happened!!!

32. blackvyper says:

Aleicia, take comfort in knowing that people who gather like sheep to buy an ipod will be wanting this Walkman. Uninstall Connect Player.. sacrifice some features (for now) and use Sonicstage 3.4 The bugs will be worled out soon and you will have a grin ear to ear. As for me.. I have a Nw-a1000 with the mirror finish (silver).

33. lowie says:

yep everyones got problems with sony mp3 players beat this though mines now totally in manderin japanease chinease whatever it is i aint got a f…ing clue one word somes it up shite ……. i want my f…ing money back!

34. blackvyper says:

Lowie.. I do think that Mandarin is CHINESE and that you just played around with your language settings too much. I can email you step by step instructions to revert it back to English if you want? Too be honest.. the hardware has no problems.. so the error must be human.

35. Hannes says:

Hoooo my fucking god. I got this wonderful looking w1000 player for xmas and was very happy man!!! It looks great but that is about it.
    I have never even gotten the Connect Player to work or neither sonic stage, are these both players or what?
    The connect player does simply not open at all and the Sonic Stage 3.4 only gets error report every time I try to open it !!
    How can Sony do this !! I will never buy anything from them again ! Ever although I have a wondeful camera and was going to buy the new aivo laptop (because of looks again)
    Never again !!!!

36. What everyone else says. Programe crashes the computer when you finallly get it installed, and anything wrong with it isn’t sony’s fault and the staff look at you like they don’t know what i’m talking about. “oh! I have’t heard of that happening before” Bo**ox Do not buy any sont mp3 players (that don’t play mp3’s AWZWeRFffHR files)

37. craig says:

the connect sofware seems to “get stuck” on “creating an interface” on my computer, my player has been wiped clean and now i have no music to listen to!!! any ideas on how to remedy this?

38. costas says:

come on guys..i realy need the first version of connect player..sonicstage doesnt work for me..it refuses to transfer a single song…

39. sf20 says:

This is such a joke. Just got my NWA 1000 yesterday and despite having Sonicstage (which works fine for my brother’s nwe 407) the player will not accept music transfers- i keep getting a message saying “player can only hold -1 groups”. what the heck are we all supposed to do with our expensive but unusable mp3 players?! Sony is extremely reprehensible for this.

40. Vishrut says:

Hi, i guess im just lucky, coz connect doesnt coz any problems for me!! got this player abt 2 weeks back, transferred songs god knows how many times, works perfectly!! slightly on the sluggish side though. This is seriously an iPod killer!!!!!

41. Marije says:

Lots of prob’s here with connect. I’m gonna try Sonic Stage, but hell, the Walkman itself is SOOO much better than iPod!! The sound is GREAT, the battery is way better and you get 20 GB worth your money. And the best part is…I got it for FREE with my new mobile phone 😀

42. Jimmy Mac says:

for those who have experienced the licence agreement ‘tick the invisible box thing’ problem when installing CONNECT player, i found a combination of presing TAB and then the right arrow key gets the ‘next’ box to appear. It worked for me when both installing from the CD and downloading the update. – Jimmy

43. julia says:

hi I wonder if anyone can help me. I have an NW a1000. I was having major problems with connect so installed sonic stage, the when that was slow we tried connect again with the new updates – big mistake. uninstalled and re-installed connect this seemed to cause some problem as when I switched my player on this morning there was no music showing up despite sonic stage saying that there were over 900 tracks on the player.
    after extensive research it seemed the best thing was to wipe everything off the player and start over. so I went into settings on the player and did the thing that wipes everything. The big problems started when I reconnected to sonic stage – it went into this loop – a window comes up saying “checking if any tracks were deleted without being transferred back to my library, the deleted information of these tracks will be recovered” then an ok button if you click ok it seems to download something or it takes you to another window that says “an error occurred while transferring the rights information (MAC) of the track is invalid. Untitled” again you click ok. This happened over and over.
    I thought ok maybe I have to do it for all 900 tracks but 2-3 hours later it’s still doing the same thing. I rang sony. The guy there got me to uninstall sonic stage and reinstall connect(despite my protests!)- I did this but guess what it froze the pc again.
    so this evening I uninstalled everything of connect and sonic stage that would let me delete and reinstalled sonic stage. reimported the tracks, plugged in the player and yes you guessed it it started up the loop thing again. I am at my wits end – do I sit here foe 6 hours hoping it will end eventually?
    Can anyone help?

44. denis says:

I wish it was summer, I can see this player skip mighty fine on the surface of a calm Ottawa river…
    PS: SONY, please get with it, and do something to save my NW-A1000 from drowning!
    PEAVED CANADIAN

45. greg says:

Hello, can anyone help me?????!!!
    I’ve got a NW-A1000, and have downloaded Connect Player like they said. Not great, but worked ok: could transfer some CDs to my MP3. BUT… any CD of mine that’s fairly new (under 5 years old) will not even get imported to the Connect Player programme, because it says it’s “unsupported”. These CDs say they have copyright protection, so maybe that’s the reason. That’s fine and all, but I want to actually listen to something! Does anyone have a suggestion?
    And while I’m here, what’s “transcode error” (says I can’t transfer tracks to the player because of it), and how do I get rid of it? It’s only been there after I did an update from the Sony website.
    PLEASE HELP!

46. Gregory Parker says:

Hey Greg.. this is Greg P. I know this may not be the easiest way of getting around your CD import problem but you can convert your CD’s to Mp3 on your hard drive first (which is what most people do anyway). Using any CD good CD ripper (converter)software you can copy ANY CD’s you want. As for your transcode error.. it comes from trying to rename your files on the Walkman while using the connect player. Doing the same thing in SonicStage does not result in a transcode error.

47. David says:

Being a software developer, I can not believe how it is possible for a company like Sony to produce software this horrible? They must have hired some fresh year CS students from Norway (a friendly national joke, as I’m Swedish. Do you happen to know why they only have round houses in Norway? So the dogs can’t pee in the corners :)).
    Seriously hope that Sony will make amend for this terrible piece of crap!

48. greg says:

Greg P you’re a genius! (well almost- just about to try it out). Thanks for that. Cheers

49. debbie says:

I can transfer songs to the device from connect player but I can’t get the transfer of the play lists…. any one with step by step instructions please. thanks in advance

50. Johan Nilsson says:

Hey everybody! Does someone know if there are any advances in this matter? It’s been nearly 3 months (i think) since sony annouced that they would fix connect software. And I haven’t heard of any fix yet. Does someone have any insideinfo? 🙂

51. Gregory Parker says:

There are no updates for the Connect Player Software or SonicStage as yet. You can check this website as often as you like to see if anything new has arrived: http://www.sonydigital-link.com/DNA/WM/NWH/NWH.asp?l=en
    As for Debbie.. suffer a few disabled features and just simply use SonicStage. I have been doing well with it since December.. you won’t miss the features anyway. Use the same website listed above to get it.

52. Ben F says:

I can,t believe that you guys keep saying that the Sony NW-A’s are great players. I Have a NW-A1000 and an Apple Ipod Video. In my opinion the Ipod is by far the better machine. The sound quality at similar bit rates is heaps better. The display, there is no real comparison, colour video verses little glowing pixels which can,t be seen in sunlight. As for battery life, if you run the Sony at anything other than optimim levels, the battery does not last much longer than the Ipod. The software…..well need I say any more about that subject!
    The bottom line is, if you are wondering whether to purchase one of those cute looking little Sony players, DON’T. Spend your hard earned money on something that is a fifth generation device with proven software and hardware.

53. Gregory says:

Who in there right mind would want to sqint at a tiny screen watching video simply because it’s the latest novelty.. get real. The Sony is a great player with great features.. and if the ipod was so great.. why is it already a 5th generation model? Line up at your local Apple Store like mindless sheep… need I say more?

54. Karl Stone says:

Does anyone know what Error code 82040307 is? It comes associated with the message “The portable device failed to initialize and can not be used” I get this when Connect runs and my NW-A1000 is connected; consequently I am unable to tranfer anything to the NW-A1000 although the rest of the functions appear to work. Although unstable, when Sonic Stage runs it recognizes the player and I am able to transfer stuff.

55. brian says:

I have 3 Sony MP3 players and out of the 3 only one will work. The NWS1000 is totally dead and will not be recognized. The NWE507 works but can’t be updated as the program will not recognize it. The only on working is my NWA608 and that just started after a fix was issued by Sony.
    I have 2 computers, both Sony. I have Sonic State and Connect Player on both. The programs on my laptop will not load. I have tried deleting them and reloading the several times but still the same problem. On my second computer, Connect player will load and work for the NWE5o7 only and Sonic Stage will try to open but then flash off the screen.
    I also have 2 iPods and have had no problems with them or the iTunes program. If Apple can make them work, Sony should also be able.
    If Sony had to refund all the money to all the people who have bought these products, I am sure they would get it fixed in a big hurry.

56. Alex says:

In reference to the 82040307 error, i am in exactly the same situation :-s

57. Karma Koza says:

does anyone know how to check the invisible ‘license agreement’ box? Tab + Right just does not seem to work!

58. dmizer says:

1) must run in windows only.
    2) must run in windows ADMINISTRATOR only.
    3) i can no longer play my mp3s in my media player.
    4) i can’t even play my mp3s in my connect player.
    5) sonic stage won’t talk to my nw-a1000.
    i also get the 82040307 error now. it happened after (in despiration over a pending international flight) i updated my player with sonic stage on a different computer.

59. Tracy Gilmour says:

I bought a 6gb Sony Walkman for my son for Christmas, he installed some music at Christmas, I found it in his drawer, he couldn’t get anymore music he thought he had broke it, I have spent the last month on and off trying to install more music, I get errors
    The Portable device NW-A1000 failed to initialise and cannot be used error code 82040100
    I was playing the music already on the Walkman fine now its not doing anything
    I also get error Sorry there is a system error (no.032)
    Its still under warranty, has my son broke it.
    Help
    Thanks

60. Dom says:

I have the NW-A1000, and while connect player isnt giving me errors, it is slow and useless. Is there any date on the release of the Sonic Stage update?

61. Ben says:

Just purchased the NWA-1000…very pleased with it, wonderful sound and very pretty! But….lots of my music has been downloaded previously from Tiscali….Connect player refuses to even consider playing it..”unsupported secure formal”…tried using MusicMatch but that no-likey player – but atleast that recognises downloaded files with appropriate lisences. Not sure what I’m doing wrong. Please help! B

62. Cmot says:

Hey everyone,
    Do NOT use auto update it fu$%s up connect badly and Takes hours as the softwere seams unable to do more than 1 thing at a time. as for the missing tick box; use tab, then space to tick the box then tab to move to the next button and then enter.
    I have found sooooo many problems with this player and found the easiest way was to make changes to my library in media player, then delete the connect library, initialise the disk on the nwa3000 and re-import it all again. Not ideal but it works.

63. jimcube27 says:

I dunno wots up with all your NW-a3000, but mine is working absolutely pertfectly. Maybe i’m lucky or something but my program was installed within 20 minutes, and the songs loaded within 10. all the playlists that i made worked perfectly and have had no problems. Maybe u guys r doing sumthin wrong?

64. hazel says:

main problem at the moment i cant open the player at all from any icon on my computer. any suggestions from any one would be really appreciated. x

65. Jean-Paul says:

Can anyone out there help me with this error message “”there was an error playing the selected track” it keeps coming up on some of my tracks in my Connect Player library!? The same tracks work fine on my NWA3000 but wont play from the library!? Very annoying! All the other shitty problems ive had have sorted themselves out & all is working perfectly…except the tunes in my Library!? Any assistance ideas would be great!
    Thanx JP

66. Fredy Caro says:

I bought the NW A607 connect player but as Everybody says the software is impossible to install, It is unbelievable that sony is still trying to sell a product like this. Maybe Sony is becoming chinese quality in 1980`s? because now China is producing better quality.
    Thanks for your time

67. Gary says:

the new sonicstage cp still crashes on my computer, do some other people have this problem? if so it may be to do with the version of windows you are running as the majority of people use windows xp with the service pack 2 update. if you read the sony web page it reads:
    Compatible operating systems (factory preinstalled only):
    * Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.
    * Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004.
    * Windows XP Media Center Edition.
    * Windows XP Professional.
    * Windows XP Home Edition.
    * Windows 2000 Professional (Service Pack 3 or later).
    * Windows Millennium Edition.
    * Windows 98 Second Edition.
    and after it states
    The following systems are not supported.
    * OS other than the ones indicated above.
    * Personally constructed PCs or operating systems.
    * Upgraded OS.
    the key points being factory preinstalled only and no OS upgrades
    from this i presume that for some reason unknown to man they have only made the software compatable for the origional version of windows XP without any of the service pack upgrades.
    appologies if this have already been covered there is way too much material for me to back blog.
    anyone have an opinion on this?

68. Gary says:

Compatible operating systems (factory preinstalled only):
    * Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.
    * Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004.
    * Windows XP Media Center Edition.
    * Windows XP Professional.
    * Windows XP Home Edition.
    * Windows 2000 Professional (Service Pack 3 or later).
    * Windows Millennium Edition.
    * Windows 98 Second Edition.
    and after it states
    The following systems are not supported.
    * OS other than the ones indicated above.
    * Personally constructed PCs or operating systems.
    * Upgraded OS.
    the key points being factory preinstalled only and no OS upgrades
    anyone have an opinion on this?

69. jim says:

I have XP SP 2 and I have no problems. I think they may be talking about people who upgraded from, say, Windows 98 to Windows XP.

70. Willeke says:

I have the same problem as some people above.. I had updated my NW-A1000 on a different computer with SonicStage, and after that I got the messages: Please connect compliant software when i wanted to see my favorites 100, time machine shuffle etc. Before this i didn’t have any problems but enjoyed my sony very well! When i came home and wanted to update my artist link, there came the error: ‘The portable device failed to initialize and can not be used (error code: 82040307) Now i couldn’t do nothing with the player, i wanted to remove all songs, but that’s not possible.! I tried to reset, didn’t work. Does someone know how to fix it, please let me know!

71. Stephen says:

CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLZ!!
    I bought a NW-A1000 and it was messing up so i unistalled it, i lost the cd so cant transfer any music onto me mp3 player, iv tried to install the sonicstage software but when i am installing it half way through the instalation it stops and says it has succesfully installed when it hasnt, so if i click finish it just cancels the instalation. So i cant install sonicstage or use connect player. Need to add songs to me mp3 player getting bored. Can anyone help or give advice if so reply back or email me on sharifian2@hotmail.co.uk. HELLLLLPPP!!

72. terry says:

After doing the firmware upgrade to v3 i now get the following message “The portable device failed to initialize and can not be used. error code 82040301”
    It’s driving me mad – tried initializing, re-installaing firmware v3 and then tried going back to v2 but still the same………………….hellllllp!!!!!!

73. blanco says:

i’m using sonicstage cp and whenever i try to connect my NW-A1200 is says that cannot use the intelligent features because the player does nopt have an updated database!! can anyone help me with this i’m getting really annoyed
    thanks

74. saffy says:

why? i am asking this question regarding to the tremendous overload of problems and issues with the connect player software. Terry don’t worry i have had the same error on many occasions but each time i have been given a different error code following the exact same message. The best part is i sent my old player back because after just about managing to put music on it i then installed the player at a friends house, of whom’s computer was more reliable, to complete putting music on the machine after a few hours i closed the program down satisfied only to find to my horror that after i had unplugged the device from the machine that ALL of my music had been wiped off and it was followed with a message along the lines of “device memory is no longer intact” you may be thinking that it was my fault, that i did not wait until the message do not disconnect had left the screen but no i checked, as i always did. I am just glad that it isn’t just my usual bad luck and that there are others who seem to have been experiencing the severe pain in the arse that is the connect player software. But am i the only person who seems to have had this happen to them? please tell me soon!

75. T. says:

>It’s driving me mad – tried initializing, re->installaing firmware v3 and then tried going >back to v2 but still the >
    >same………………….hellllllp!!!!!!
    Have the same problem like you!!! And dont know what to do now – think we have to wait for a 3.x update…

76. ake says:

I’ll keep it short, after spending over 3 hour making the nv-3000 devince still wouldnt work with either CONNECT Plyer with latest updates or SonicStage v4.
    All I could see on the device sreen was the word “connecting” when connected to the pc.
    This player is even worse than Ipod. And its not even my mp3 player, its my mates. He uses winME so asked me upload all track for him.
    And what an experience its been. ¬_¬

77. dj T says:

thanks
    Posted by: blanco on June 15, 2006 03:13 AM
    i have the same problem as you and im using my nw-a3000 how frustrating!!!!!!!

78. Janson says:

I have recently purchased a Sony Walkman NW-A300.
    When out jogging/ running the error: “Sorry there is a system error (No.20)”, appears throughout the run at random times on different songs. The unit then switches off. If I do not run (or just walk) and leave the unit still, it plays without any problems? I have upgraded to the latest firmware (v3.0) but this has not fixed the problem. Anyone have any ideas before I take it back to Sony?

79. Perry says:

Thought I’d check out this site again as my computer justloaded a Connect ‘update’. Usual shite. The PC locked up, after I closed Connect it told me that it was still open, blah de blah de blah. Six months and still nothing new. Since I got the AW3000 I have bought a new copmputer and you can bet I made sure it wasn’t a Sony! The player still looks beautiful, and sounds great, but I just haven’t got the energy any more to try to load any more music onto it. Dills.

80. Perry says:

OK – some progress. This technology just seems to suck up your time. Downloaded the latest SonicStage v. 4 and associated firmware. Deleted that ol’ Connect rubbish and installed above (after having to reboot PC to get rid of pesky Connect lurking in background – other wise f-ware wouldn’t load) Kept SS library empty and ripped CDs and transferred them to the NW3000. About 2 mins per CD – gotta be a record for this setup. Happier now, only 6 months after purchase.

81. Andrew says:

Hi All,
    Got my GF a NWA3000 for xmas last year. Connect player is crap, installed Sonicstage v4 and has been working fine for 6+ months. I went in search of answers in Jan this year and Sony put me onto Sonicstage. I’m not sure about anywhere else but the walkmans in New Zealand are not coming with connect player and have sonicstage instead. Are sony guilty of creating some rubbish software?????

82. Eeeep says:

So how do we get this sonicstage shizz???
    DO you have to call up the people ?
    Connect player is raaaabbish.

83. Eeeep says:

So how do we get this sonicstage shizz???
    Do you have to call up the people ?
    Connect player is raaaabbish.

84. sony says:

sony u wankas waste of my fukin tim im gna fukin kill u bastards

85. Foxxe says:

Yeah, I’m gettin’ that Error 032 shizzle with the NW-A1000 I got only back at the start of May, and I haven’t a clue why. Now it’s trying to connect even though it wasn’t connected in the first place. I expect the batteries to wear down, otherwise I may resort to resetting it and seeing what that does. Or I could actually bother to take it to a Sony centre and have them tell me it’s knackered. If the warranty doesn’t cover it someone will get injured.
    CONNECT is the slowest bloody thing ever too. I mean sure it has ten gigs of stuff to deal with but can’t Sony do anything right?
    Oh, plus it’s tried to download some Gracenote security fix about twenty odd times over the past few days and it doesn’t even wanna install it.
    PS. I also agree with the motion made above to, as they so eloquently put it, “fukin kill u bastards”.

86. Terry says:

PROGRESS MADE!!!! RE: >After doing the firmware upgrade to v3 i now get >the following message “The portable device >failed to initialize and can not be used. error >code 82040301”
    >same………………….hellllllp!!!!!!
    Finally managed to get some songs on by removing connect and installing an earlier version, same with the firmware. Am now ignoring all updates from sony and sticking with what i’ve got.

87. i received my sony walkman A3000 as a gift from my friend and was very happy to receive such a cool present well as time went on i loaded it with all my music from my cd collection and i use my sony walkman in the car and plug it in my house stereo too. so haven’t used my cd collection at all and as my friends come round to vistit me i would ask them if they would like a cd or to as i have my collection on my sony walkman so what was the point in keeping the cd’s anyway i don’t have any cd’s anymore and as my computer was so slow to use i also deleted all my music off the hard drive too and when ever i buy a cd from down town i would copy it to my sony walkman and then give it to my friend to keep. now i have bought myself an ipod video 60GB because it have more GB and also can save picture’s and my favourte films on it so anyway i thought i could take off all my music from sony walkman and put them on my new ipod mmmmmm…. it seems not, it seems i can by a cd copy it onto sony walkman but can’t get my track back off the sony i can delete it to make room on my sony but again i get uploaded onto my computer then onto my ipod which makes feel angry i feel robbed of my music i didn’t know i had to keep my cd’s incase i didn’t want the sony anymore i didn’t know i had to keep my computer loaded with all my music incase i didn’t want my sony walkman anymore so it seems i can’t get any of my music collection off the sony to my new ipod i do not want to spent lots of money to by all the music back to load on my ipod as i have already bought the tracks i should be able to copy them onto another device for my personal use why should i pay twice for music i already paid for so is it possible that someone could tell me how i can get all my music back off my sony walkman onto my new ipod so i can listen to my music on my ipod is there some kind of way i can sort it out i do not want to start downloading music to my ipod without paying for it but i can see why people do especially when they come to problems like this one from James Cassidy

88. Bazooka Joe says:

thanks
    Posted by: blanco on June 15, 2006 03:13 AM
    i have the same problem as you and im using my nw-a3000 how frustrating!!!!!!!
    Posted by: dj T on June 25, 2006 05:04 PM
    I’m getting this too – I am VERY pissed off because I’ve been using the old Sonic Stage for months without a problem and now my whole player is f*cked up. Genius Sony! I’m going to find version 3.4 and use that again which says it all really.

89. yinks says:

I have just installed sonicstage v4 and now having problems getting my NW-HD3 player to connect to the damn software each time I try and connect I keep getting the following error: The connected ATRAC Audio Device cannot be used with the currently installed sonicstage. To use with the currently installed sonicstage, you must delete all tracks or initilize the hard disk of the ATRAC Audio Device. What is so annoying is the previous version was working properly before I installed this rubbish. I have tried to initialize the hard disk but because it would delete all my music files, I am not willing to take that risk. Does anyone know where I can get sonicstage v3.4? This is the last time I will be upgrading to any future releases of sonicstage

90. michael jennings says:

i got the sony nw-a1000 for my 18 bday. came home set it all up goin fine then the problems started i had about 300 songs on it the next day i went to put more songs on it and and my computer crashed!!!!!!!!!! it wiped all the songs on my mp3 player and after that it would not take any more songs. the sony walkman is a pile of shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    know i have a new alba mp3 player and it is goin 100%
    i will never buy another sony mp3 player AGAIN!!!!!!!!

91. Lion says:

Hi frns
    Can anyone suggest me that how to do factory settings (means delete everything including floders)? i made some folders a month ago and then i tried to download sonicstage from the site and after downloading when i opened that i found that there were so many same named folders in playlist !!!i deleted that so pysically all of them are deleted but still names of those folders are there i want to delete them as well so if anyone know about it then please let me know on my email add.
    lion211180@gmail.com
    Thanks in advance
    Lion

92. Alex says:

Hi,I need help desperately.The harddisk on my A-3000 was accidentally initialized by a friend who was messing around with my player.I have lost my Connect Player cd.I am in Africa (Zimbabwe) at the moment and there is no Sony agent here.I’ve been trying to search via the internet,but it seems the program is unavailable as all I’m finding is updates.Please can someone out there tell/offer me any possible solutions.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

93. an angry customer says:

if sony was a guy and sat next to me i’d kick his ass.
    sony, you owe me 100 hours and 400 bucks.

94. Cris B says:

Got NW-A3000 for Xmas… Brillient. Worked perfectly. Loaded music on to it. Fine.. Hunky Dory. But… Now… No go. Error 82040307 like other dudes on here… But can see hard disk contents using explorer so I know my PC is talking to the damn thing… If anyone has any helpful suggestions it would be appreciated..
    🙂
    C

95. leah says:

i got a NW-A1000 for chrismas and it was hard and awkward to get each song on it, now when i go on CONNECT player it sais “failed to insalize bla bla” then an error code 82040100 it has happened 2wice even after i unstalled and stalled it again its stupid cos theres nothing i can do can some1 help me pleeease i only want new songs on my mp3! raaa

96. Dom says:

Upgraded to SonicStage CP and now all Song, Album and Artist information on my NW-A3000 has become disorganised and can no longer be browsed alphabetically. This despite upgrading the firmware on the device to 3.0 beforehand as advised. The only way to resolve this problem is to transfer all songs via SonicStage CP again from scratch Sony tell me.

97. grrrrr says:

same problems with a3000 – was there ever an explanation about the “intelligent features ” problem…what do sony say ifg you go direct to them with these issues?

98. JohnDolan says:

Please, all of the people having the same old problems with the NWA series, Connect Player and/or Sonicstage – take the player back to where you bought it as it is unfit for purpose.
    The shop cannot refuse to refund you under your consumer rights.
    Put the whole fiasco behind you and buy a proper player, one that you can just drag & drop files onto.
    Don’t you realise you are all tearing your hair out because of Sony’s paranoia?
    Kick Sony into touch, it’s nothing more than they deserve.

99. Jim says:

I have put the fiasco behind me and I am quite happy with my NWA3000 and SSCP (Not Connect Player!) Sony really got this off to deplorable start but there is no reason people who buy the player now and use SSCP need tear out a single hair anymore than with any other player.
    There is more to a good (“Proper?”) player than drag and drop.

100. cher says:

I have deleted all the tracks in my library in sonicstage, but yet, it still appears that i onl have 9.1 gb space yet, how can i delete this apparent lost space?

101. sofi says:

thats not strictly true because i had 2 return my sony walkman 3 times an eventually i had 2 get a new one which is useless all because i am opposed to gettin ipods an i couldnt find a good one with th right amount of memory on it so i had to just get a cheap one instead and it was only partially to do with the connect player software that i had to return it the other reason was that the player itself refused to respond with anything i instructed it to do.E.g. i ask it to play my tracks in random order and it cuts out- no reason at all, full battery etc. it just gave up on me well when i say “it” i mean all of the players i got and it wasnt a faulty batch because some people didnt have any problems with theirs at all but i seemed to as well as a few other people so why is that?

102. Michael says:

I f*ckin hate Sony fior inflictunig this piece of sh*t on me. Doens’t matter what I do to the thing it keeps on telling me “No songs. Connect compliant software and trasfer songs” – this despite the fact that when I connect to my PC SonicStage is telling me the device holds all my music. Eventually decided to delete all tracks from the player, unintall and reinstall SonicSatge and reload all tracks, but still the same message.

103. Steve says:

Could anyone email me a copy of their OMGAUDIO folder. In desperation to try and get this player to work I inadvertantly deleted some files here. I cannot believe how awful this software is considering it comes from such a reputable company as Sony.

104. Steve says:

I forget to add my email steveshaw@london.com

105. dado says:

hi all,
    I w got Sony nw-a3000 last night and I was disappointed…it says that the thing can play mp3 file so I tried to copy mp3 files on the player but he couldn’t find anything…any way after hours of surfing and playing with the thing…
    first: install new firmware from Sony
    second: download and install new SonicStage
    this combination works fine..
    regarding mp3 files…well he can play mp3 but he renames the song and change the type so song.mp3 becomes 00000001.oma but when u copy that file to ur local machine and rename it to 00000001.mp3 winamp can play it…stupid…
    I just have to play with players internal database and maybe I will be able to bypass SonicStage and Connect and add songs from windows explorer 🙂 🙂 🙂
    regarding computer crashing…try to find and install the latest driver for mainboard, that might help…
    Steve…did u try initialize hard disk from the player menu also reset all settings if that doesn’t work then press reset thing near ur USB port on the player…
    regards

106. Barrie says:

I feel very lucky that Sonic Stage seems to work OK for me, although it is an awkward program.
    I bought it a few weeks ago in Dubai and it only ships with Sonic Stage ( no Connect)
    The problem that I have seems to not have been mentioned anywhere here.
    I find that the volume level from the NW3000 is very low. It will barely push good headphones, even at top volume (30).
    My CD walkman will go all the way to deafening with the same headphones. Any thoughts?
    The volume limiter is not on.
    Barrie

107. Gizmo says:

heey i have a problem
    i just got a sony NW-a300
    and i was messing around with it ..
    i couldnt put any songs in becouse it was odd i think … so i deleted everything and made a map i put one mp3 in .. and PUFF !! it started lagged on my mp3 sony player .. then i connect the sony walkman on the computer and on my mp3 it said “Sorry, there is a system error (no 032). ” and i just dont know what to do .. i cant even open it .. there will only come a CD thats turning … then in a while it goes of ..

108. Craig says:

Delighted to have found this site. The sony AW-3000 I got last christmas has helped me fall in love with music again, I use it everydays (sometimes for hours) and it sounds very good. However having now filled it up (using Sonic Stage) I am ever more frustrated with the connect software.
    Q1.Does anyone know if it is worth trying to upload from the Walkman to Connect. And if so is there a way to automatically upload all tracks from the Walkman to the Connect Library?
    Q2. Can I create playlists using Sonic Stage?
    Q4. Can I create playlist on the Walkman itself?
    Q4. Why no clock/alarm??
    Someone, anyone RSVP

109. Craig says:

Craig’s email: cjjtis@aol.com
    So nice to know I am not alone.

110. matt w says:

Sony Connect software is garbage and unacebtable. It gives me greif all the time and now continually shuts down saying it has occurred an error. It was difficult to install at the start and basically I wish I hadnt bought the NWA-3000 even though the player is ok. BEWARE!!!!!!!

111. james says:

bought the nwa3000 had massive problems with the connect software…went to the sony support site they say to download sonicstage..turns out to be have decent. crashed the first time, second time no problems….HOWEVER now my player itself does not work after transfering the files over.
    It is totally and completley dead.
    2 days before a trans atlantic flight which is the reason it was bought for, and it dies

112. Mike says:

I have got the NW-A1000
    Use the very latest beta Windows Media Player and it works great transferring all audio files over to and from windows. Much better then the sony connect software.
    Keep the Sony hardware but use WMP Beta Latest and iy works great!!!!! 300+ songs and counting.

113. ian says:

OK so i just spent £179 on the sony walkman 20GB NW-A3000 and have been using it for a couple of months now but for some reason i just tuned it on today and it says “no library found please connect compliant software” so im like what the hell is going on so i connected it to the computer amd loaded up the connect player software only to find that when it trys to returieve the info from the device it comes up with this error:
    ERROR Code 000066D6
    “Cannot use intelligent features because the connected ATRAC audio device does not have the updated database. Disconnect and connect the device again to update the datebase or change the settings to do not use intelligent features”
    So of cource i tried reconnecting and it made no difference so then i look for the disable intelligent features which of course there is non so i’m like “ok wtf do i do now thats £179 down the drain”.
    I have checked on my computer as it sits on there as a “portable device” and it says i have used 18.2GB of the 20GB available so the music is blatently on there but just doesnt want to show me it.
    Can anyone help at all?

114. Ozzy says:

Why didn’t i check out this forum before i bought the f****** thing???
    I keep getting that blasted error message: 82040008 – portable device failed to initialize and cannot be used.
    what the fudge?? do i install this sonic stage thing and uninstall connect player?? or do i take it back to where i bought it?

115. Jim says:

Install Sonicstage 4.0 and see if you still have this problem. And remove Connect Player.

116. andrew says:

after numerous problems with connect player and sonicstage in the past…tonight i am again stuck in a rut with it.
    ^^I tried to install the 1.0 version from the original cd i got with the device, however the end license agreement where it allows you to choose isnt in the window! grrrrrrr!

117. Jane says:

Have just read Ian’s post of 14 October. The exact same thing happened to me with the NWA1200V I bought last week. Initially transferred about 100 songs, played OK, then suddenly all songs had disappeared from the walkman and couldn’t transfer music. I got exactly the same error code and message.
    Took it back to shop today and have another one. Dont know yet whether it will work or not but I thought Sony were supposed to be one of the best companies?????

118. fred says:

I now have the error message:
    ERROR Code 000066D6
    What do i do to fix this? There seems to be no way around it!!!

119. retep says:

Dear fred!
    the same mail as you did i wrote 1o min. earlier.
    let’s cry or laugh together!
    Or the better way: let’s buy a ipod!
    retep

120. Lucy says:

I have the same error. Please, does anyone have a solution as i cannot use the my A3000.

121. Jim says:

Try http://www.atraclife.com. There are alot of helpful people there. Also call Sony support, if you haven’t already.

122. nicey74 says:

I have an a3000 and the database died on it tonight, I only had 8gb on there so not the end of the world, I have sonic stage 4 and turned the intelligent functions off on options, stopped auto transfers, formatted the device, re-installed the latest firmware and just added about 15gb onto it, I am happy with it, have lost the intelligent features I will never lost. I am not connecting it to my pc again, I will stick with the music I have on it. I only paid 99 pounds for it so cant complain, cant believe so many people are having problems, its disgusting, it could have been so much better?

123. slowghost says:

My A3000 just show an error code 82040008, and I can’t find this machine on CONNECT and pass files to the machine via CONNECT, shit CONNECT, God… How can I solve this problem?? My CONNECT version is 1.0.04.16100, and the system version of my machine is v.2.01. Thanks for anyone can give me some idea!!!

124. james says:

i cant get my sony a 1000 to work i have tried everything i keep getting an error on it it says
    error (no.032)

125. Lin says:

My nwa 1200 says that 2.7 Gb is full (I’ve been transfering these over the last month or so) yet there are no songs on it. This has suddenly happened. I don’t want to go through the nightmare of transfering them again. When I view the files on the player on my computer all the tracks are there does anyone have any suggestions?

126. Lisa says:

I bought my Sony NW-A1000 a few months ago, and even though the hardware was slow as hell – it still worked really good. Later on, however, when I wanted to put more songs on my mp3, some fucking “Error Code 82040307” told me that my “portable device failed to initialize and can not be used”…it’s been like this for weeks now. What is this? I really want some new awsome music on my sony – how do I fix this problem??

127. Ben says:

I sympathise with everyone, i have got error 82040301, i have had the player 8 months now and wanted to take it back 1.5 months after owning it. Apparently it only has a one month return policy. So i persevered, sony just tells me to try things that i have been trying for the last 5 months!! What do we all do with the unsavoury taste of badly spent money in our mouths?? spent money that went to a company for something they did not deserve and for something thaey should be recalling, because that would happen if this was a car!!! i am sure you all hear me.

128. Jim says:

Once again you probably will get slow response to any questions you put on this website. If you put your question into one of the forums on atraclife, you will get a quick response from many well-informed people.

129. lee says:

i’ve just recentley downloaded sonic stage cp on my computer it was nice enough to blank my nw-a3000 player and then f*ck up my computer i really don’t think sony have a clue what they are doing!!!

130. jeanie says:

this is so annoying..
    i just got a sony NW-A1200 yesterday and loaded a few songs onto it.And today, it worked fine until i decided to load more songs onto it. And this popped up!
    ERROR Code 000066D6
    how do i fix this problem?
    please help me. i appreciate it

131. gra says:

This is the worst piece of s**t i have ever bought!!!!!

132. tjeerdy says:

Hi all, I have had similar problems with Sony’s software (it is a joke). I have an NW-A1000. I listen to it all day and it works great. The only problem is, since I managed to get the songs on there (a saga in itself) I haven’t been able to replace any of them using Sonic Stage. Sonic Stage for some reason will not let me transfer ANY songs to the walkman and comes up with the helpful message that “These songs….cannot be transferred”, but does not give any explanation. I can delete songs without a problem and there is plenty of room for more songs. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions for a solution?!

133. Mike says:

I installed latest sonic stage but it is crap as it will not show the genre in the NW-3000 device whereas CONNECT does, so I can easily find, for instance, PODCAST genre and delete them when finished listening. Sonic stage only shows artist or album and only genre if you open up each track !!!!! So now I have gone back to using CONNECT and guess what now I have error code 82040307. SONY, I will never BUY THIS BRAND AGAIN!!!!

134. Gavin says:

Yea i’ve had trouble with this piece of shit for almost a year now (20gig). thought i would give them time to sort out their software, but there’s clearly an undeniable fault. IPOD, IRIVER, or CREATIVE it is then.

135. Mike says:

Beautiful looking but ultimately a piece of crap. My NW A1000 has been nothing but trouble since the day I bought it. I have wasted days and days of my life fighting with the bastard software and I want them back! Today the machine has hung on me. It starts and just hangs there with that annoying spinning disc winking at me. In a way I am glad, the heart ache is over, like when a terminally ill relative eventually gives up and dies, there is a sense of relief. I had a Creative and that died on me too. And a Packard Bell which froze. They’re all rubbish so I will buy a cheap piece of crap for twenty five quid which I accept will pack up after a few months but wtf.
    OK, so where’s my 4 pound sledge hammer….

136. stefan says:

i have problem with my nw-e105
    when I get mp3 music on it he show’s NO DATA
    Were I can download softwere 4 it or how shud I fix the problem?

137. lisa says:

Hi, got my nwa3000 about 5 months ago everything ok until it switched itself on in my bag and the screen froze saying GOOD MUSIC GOOD DAY. All the keys are locked and it kept shuffling. Very annoyed tried draining battery and resetting it but no joy, any ideas anybody?

138. lisa says:

139. Patrick says:

I have a Nw A1000 that I got a year ago and it was warking fine until i tried to delete the tracks from the system, now connect player cant detect my device. I sent away my walkman to an independent company and got a firmware upgrade that cost 75 Euros. Unfortunately my Connect player now says “nwa 1000 loading 0%” and cannot detect the device. I cant load up songs! The engineer assured me the walkman was working as he loaded on two songs which I could see. I have initialised, reset, everything. I have reinstalled Connect Player about 10 times on my computer and still the same thing. I have been on the website and have done everything I can do from that and still no joy there either. What can I do? I have called Sony tonnes of times and might as well be speaking to a brick wall, any suggestions please?

140. Clem says:

I found this site when trying to solve a problem with my AW3000 and my daughters AW1000. They both seem to suffer from problems that others have also had, loosing all data when trying to add new tracks. Shame great player when working but for the hassle, NO GOOD.
    DO NOT GET SONY AW series players unless they sort it out. I’m taking mine back to the shop

141. Adam says:

Im having the same exact problem as lisa 3 posts above this one except my mp3 player is the sony NW A1000. This piece of shit deleted my songs a few weeks ago but manage to upload it all back on, not forgetting to mention the suck ass software which i realize i have uploaded the some of the same songs 4 times. But furthermore, has any suggest the problem im having? i cant access anything on it…

142. hannah says:

Hi, my wonderfull husband has given me his NW A1000 as he has just bough one of the latest zens, he’s a musician so i think he wanted something a bit newer and better, i only listen when i remember 😀
    He didnt seem to have any other probelms than when he first got it the software was rubbish so i think he used sonic stage….i am getting to the point….But i have a mac… on tiger, am i able to use this player with my mac? i have googled and googled! but i found thi site and another saying back in 2006 they were being out an apple sonic stage, ut cant find one. so should i give up and just use his pc or is there anything i can do?

143. hannah says:

144. sharon says:

I have the sony walkman verion 304 NW-E000 series ans the disc wont even download in my computer. Does anyone have any suggestions ?

145. sharon says:

I have the sony walkman verion 3.4 NW-E000 series and the disc wont even download in my computer. Does anyone have any suggestions ?

146. sean coetzee says:

Hi
    I kept getting the error code 000066d6 and a message about the intelligent features and no update database
    To fix the problem i just deleted all the OMG files on the mp3 player and reset it. After that it was fine
    bye

147. ahmad bataineh says:

hi…
    I have the sony walkman verion NW-A1000 (6GB) ,I have aprobem in my sony…the message is always in my sony is”no data base found ,connect compliant software and transfer songs”…
    pleaze someone help me to solve this problem…
    bye…

148. ahmad bataineh says:

hi…
    what is the compliant software and how can i get it pleaze help me…

149. jim says:

go to http://www.atraclife.com/forums/.
    You won’t get any help here.

150. jim says:

go to http://www.atraclife.com/forums/.
    You won’t get any help here.

151. Linda says:

The volume between tracks varies on my NW 3000. For example one track will play loud, clear and perfect and the next track will play quiet, muffled and sound dreadful. How do I normalise the volume over all tracks so they play at the same level? Also does anyone know where I can buy the extension cord for the ear phones?
    If anyone can help I would be so grateful. Thanks.

152. Tom says:

Just bought an NWA-3000, was quite happy with it at first… until I tried putting music on it. I’ve got a 12GB library on my PC so this 20GB mp3 player is just the right size. But trying to actually send any music to the damn thing is proving completely impossible. Sony Connect is total cr*p. No matter how many times I tell it NOT to automatically update the bloody program still opens every time I start my PC – why? Why does it start? WHY IF ITS NOT GOING TO BE DOING ANYTHING? I’m really quite disappointed to be honest. It’s been 5 hours and I’ve got nowhere. Except, after a frustrating while, updating the firmware. Shocking.

153. FD says:

I HAVE MY NW-A1000 FOR TWO WEEKS NOW. I HAVE TO SAY THAT I HAD NO IDEA THAT SO MANY PROBLEMS EXIST! I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH MINE SO FAR. NONE WHATSOEVER!!! IT’S WORKING JUST FINE. I AM VERY PLEASED WITH IT. AS FAR AS THE CONNECT SOFTWARE, IT IS JUST FINE. HONNESTLY I’VE DONE NOTHING MORE THAN INSTALL THE SOFTWARE AND EVERYTHING RUNS SMOOTHLY SINCE THEN. I DELETE,ADD AND USE TRACKS JUST FINE!

154. Rob_B says:

SonicStage is SH!T! It corrupted my media player and now I cannot play music on that OR SonicStage.
    It crashed my PC when installing (admittedly it is Windows ME), and crashed it again when upgrading SonicStage. There is f4ck all help on the Sony website, or the manual or the help. The music plays alright on the player, but I haven’t tried deleting tracks yet.
    I promised myself before, never to buy another Sony product, and am now cursing myself for not sticking to my guns and believing their hype!

155. jenny says:

please help, i can’t transfer music from my playlist to my device anymore.
    all was working fine, got some new cd’s for xmas tried to add them to my device but they won’t transfer. tried dragging over or just pressing the add button but nothing works, please help

156. sarah says:

i dont know how to anything at all all i need to do is kow what to do but this is my brothers olde one so all of the songs i hate and i want to delete them for pet sakes i dont know how to do that AAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! i swere i going to give this thig back if i dont get some help!!!!!!!!!1

157. sarah says:

i add some song but when i unplug it from my computer its not there too!!!!!!! but when i plug it back into my computer the songs are there i wish i had money for and ipod hey dose any one want to buy this for 50$ give me the address and i’ll send it just e-mail me at sailorfull_metal_alchemist_lover@yahoo.com but u have to send me the money and if you try to kill me i will call the polcie lol jk but i am selling it.

158. Tony Lee says:

Last week I purchased a NW-A1200 which came with Sonicstage. This software was (and still is) a great problem. I run XP Sp2 and it took me 5 attempts to install it over a 4 hour period. I succeeded only after downloading the latest version, cleaning and optimising the hard drive including removing such things as “orphan” files and then defragmenting. In comparison, Samsung Mediacentre (my preious choice) went in first go. Since installing Sonicstage I now have the problem that my PC frequently reboots before a boot-up has finished – annoying but indicative that Sonicstage is causing some sort of mischief.
    Now that it is installed it is noticeable that Sonicstage is much slower than Samsung Mediacentre and fails on quite a few basic tasks – for example, transferring a Playfile from the player back to Sonicstage’s library has never yet succeeded. Typically, the error message is received that some tracks (listed) cannot be moved, typically about 80% of the Playlist.
    I do not think that Sony have a satisfactory product with even its most up-to-date version of Sonicstage. I doubt that I would buy another Sony if this is the best that the Company can do.

159. walkmanismybitch says:

ERROR CODE 82040100 SOLUTION:
    here’s what I did to solve this problem:
    -update walkman’s firmware to latest version (3.0)
    -control panel > system > hardware > device manager
    uninstall the driver for the walkman (remove device)
    -now connect player can initialize the player again,
    but I installed Sonicstage CP 4 which is much better anyway.

160. walkmanismybitch says:

ERROR CODE 82040100 SOLUTION:
    here’s what I did to solve this problem:
    -update walkman’s firmware to latest version (3.0)
    -control panel > system > hardware > device manager
    uninstall the driver for the walkman (remove device)
    -now connect player can initialize the player again,
    but I installed Sonicstage CP 4 which is much better anyway.

161. Assamite says:

have som issues whit the nv-a1000 not having the possibility of drag&drop from windows whit mp3 files….. it stupid and user hostile.
    I don`t think i`am bying sony products anytime soon….. or ever again.
    Creative Zen have at least that option.
    But for those of you that complain over the low sound volum of your nv-a1000 or simuler, there is hope.
    Search google for a volume hack that fixes the sound, and you shall find, and be pleased.
    I did try the hack 5 times before i got it. 🙂 much better…… so all i need know….drag and dr…….
    And one more thing….DO NOT USE THE “CONNECT” SOFTWARE….. IT MAY POSSIBLY F… UP YOUR PLAYER. USE SONIC STAGE whit the latest firmware or try Winamp, whit plugins for ATRAC
    Best regards Assamite
    Assamite

162. craig mccann says:

hi i bought my NW A1200 right at the end of december, it worked fine for bout a week then “SORRY THERES BEEN A SYSTEM ERROR NO.20” or summit like tht, i know its the system error no.20 anyway. well does anyone actually know wot the problem is? it did it again on the 8th of february and wen it turned off it actually froze for 45, thats wen i handed it back to the dudes in the shop, they took it and sent it away to the repair center, so i was thinkin i was gttin it fixed… WRONG!!!! wen it came back, 3 weeks later for fuck sake, nothin was any better at all, it still comes up wi that shitey error nearly every day, and sometimes it takes ages to turn on, oh and also its quicker to listen to every song than it is to skip them cos wen i skip a song it takes at least 30 seconds to actually do it, anyone able to help me?

163. craig mccann says:

oh i meant to say that it was frozen for 45 minutes lol, ps i have had no problems with my sonic stage other than the fact that it went totally slow as fuck once or twice

164. Jazzy says:

My OMGAUDIO file got deleted on my NW-E105 Sony Mp3 player. and it won’t play any songs…..i need help…

165. Daniel says:

ok whoever said that when it came to north america sony would have these bugs fixed was an idiot, no offense. my connect worked fine untill it asked me to update so like the fool i am i did so and now i get “Error Code: 82040307” “portable device failed to initialize and can not be used”
    who ever created this crappy sony program should be shot in teh knee and be forced to live a life where all they can do is sit on teh couch and watch static

166. Danno says:

I have just had this problem….
    000066d6
    Message about the intelligent features and no update database
    Seems to work OK, can relod music back on and plays normally now.
    Danno

167. ariana says:

HELP.
    i have a one year old NWA-1000. I used it yesterday and suddenly the thing froze. I could skip songs but the name of the song remains the same and there’s no sound coming out.
    I then pressed the reset button and switched it on again. The screen stays on the “Enjoy your music, enjoy your life” part and the disk scans but doesnt do anything. After 3 minutes, the disk stops scanning but i’m still on the “Enjoy your music, enjoyr your life’ screen. ANyone can help?