enrish net ladio

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

Livedoor is one of the top 3 Internet businesses in Japan (behind Yahoo! Japan and Rakuten.)

Netladio-1

Why does Japan have to be so bad at English? It really boggles the mind. I hope you don’t own any Livedoor stock…

livedoor ネットラジオ/ねとらじ

10 comments on “enrish net ladio
  1. Kurt says:

just playing devil’s advocate here for a second, but couldn’t there be a chance it was on purpose? perhaps unlikely, but….at any rate, can’t imagine the stock would take a big hit because of this; might be other reasons not to own stock though

2. Compoboy says:

This one goes out to all the Ladios.
    I think the real shame here is with the absolutely dreadful anti-aliasing they did with that text.
    But seriously, many of the Japanese I worked with in Japan were somehow convinced that they knew English well, and didn’t really need anybody to check it for them. That’s fine for personal notes, but doesn’t fly when you are doing copywriting for foreign markets.
    I doubt this is a Japanese-specific problem, but sometimes people don’t know what they don’t know and are too proud to just ask an expert. In this case, a native English speaker or copywriter.
    “Hey, I got a 99% on my English exams, so my English must be perfect.”
    International Business Rule #235: After the translation is done, do a “native check.”

3. Joseph says:

I tend to think that the whole issue here in Japan is a love/hate relationship with the US. IMO the “proudness” issue is a blanket for the real problem: Insecurity!

4. fleep... says:

Could be worse… They could have spelt it rajio! : )

5. Durf says:

Maybe it’s “radio for the ladies.” Um, OK, I’m out of ideas now.

6. Chris says:

I think you should start a movement to call them rivedoor until they fix it.

7. joey says:

unrelated, but youve got a picture on the cover of flickr.com right now, at least for me it was. congrats.

8. el.kentaro says:

appearantly there is a reason for this spelling..
    its in japanese and lame ..but atleast they know about it..