Sydney deep house…
Spending a few days in Sydney with friends this week, I’m lucky to spend an afternoon with fleep.com, who’s in town for a vacation as well. Fleep mentioned that the home of dance music culture in Australia is Melbourne, and I’d have to agree after visiting the few dance music record stores here in Sydney.
For a city of 5 million, who arguably are really into dance/electronic music (for reference, Ministry of Sound’s “The Annual” – a popular compilation of dance music – sells more copies in Australia than even in the UK- 3 weeks to double platinum!) Sydney has a paucity of good record stores. However, I did manage to find a few pieces of good wax to take home to Tokyo, even though it was quite pricey ($20 AU per single/12″!!!)
Deep house I found in Sydney includes…
Macari & Jay-J “Last Call at Moulton Studios Pt. 1” (Greenhouse Records)
– Chris Lum is one of those San Francisco house producers that I always watch for.
Rogue Traders presents “State of the Future” (Jump Da Shark Records)
– this was a fleep.com recommendation and quite a gem. I’d have never guessed this was such an interesting track from the cheap-looking label and no sleeve…
Collective Sound Members “Music from the Soul Vol. 4” (After Midnight Records)
– this too was a fleep.com recommendation. Quite nice!
Metrosoul feat. Anna Meta “Lift My Spirit/So Long” (Metro Music)
– I’m not sure what caught my ear about this one, but it’s some great German deep house with a tech flavor.
Hi Fi Mike “Stereo Flavas [Chris Lum remixes]” (Hussle Recordings, from Australia!)
– again, another nice pice of Lum workmanship…
Atomphunk “Boogie Down EP” (Deepfunk Records)
– Deepfunk is a label out of Venice, California, that’s been putting out great deep house. Atomphunk seems to be Ged Craughwell out of Manchester UK. Again, deep goodness.
Various Artists “Jay-J and Miguel Migs: In the House” (Defected)
– Defected’s “In the House” compilations are all really interesting. I have this one on CD as well as the vinyl, and I also recommend “Kenny Dope: In the House,” “Dimitri from Paris: In the House,” as well as “Soulfuric: In the House.” Tracks I especially like include:
– Jet Lag “So Right [Axwell and BT’s Essence Dub]”
– MindInfluence “The Best Part [Copyright Remix]”
– DJ John ‘Julius’ Knight “Find A Friend (Audiowhores Remix)”
Finally, Richard Earnshaw, a producer on Soulfuric Recordings who has caught my ear recently (via his “Joyride” track, which is on the Nicholas Matar “Sundance” compilation, but is also supported by Hed Kandi as well as Defected) is playing in Sydney on Saturday the 27th, which is unfortunately the day that I leave Sydney. I’d imagine that Earnshaw does a massive deep house DJ set from what I have heard of his work. I hope he makes it to Tokyo soon.